Monday, January 18, 2010

Back to school, back to school....

For those of you who don’t know… I attended my first class as a graduate student last week.

(Shut your face, it was not an anger management class.)


It was weird being back in a classroom again. It took me a while to get back into the student mindset. You know… paying attention to the professor, reading the syllabus, taking notes, not telling the loud breathing student next to me to kindly suck oxygen through their nose. All that jazz.

But there was one thing about being in class that I really could not get over: boys.

Holy scrotums Batman! I almost forgot there was such a thing as universities that allowed people with a Y Chromosome in.

You see… I spent four years going to school with 1,300 other women. I had class with a total of two men those entire four years. One of them was gay and the other was in my physics lecture (‘nuff said.)

Sure, I was across the street from a coed university. But to be honest, 98% of those guys had smaller balls than I did. And as for being a student manager? My class happened to be the first one that was over 60% female. Oh yeah, did I mention the team I managed was the women’s swim team?

And now? I work with the soccer, track and field, cross country, volleyball, golf, and softball teams – all women.

Let’s just say that outside of just being friends, I don’t have much experience interacting with the opposite sex. (Reason why I’m still single? Possibly.)

So while I was sitting in class, stinking of my workout, I found myself thinking, “Oh my god. Do I really smell that bad? I should have at least put mascara on. Hell, I should have washed my hair! Maybe changed my socks? Christ, I’m disgusting.”

This is something I never, EVER had to think about when I was in undergrad. I used to go to class smelly and sweaty and one hundred different kinds of gross and never had to think twice about it.

This is definitely going to take some getting used to... and maybe at least body spray in my gym bag.

5 comments:

MJenks said...

Don't forget about the other college that was right next door.

And the old man sitting just off campus in his lawn chair with his American flag.

Organic Meatbag said...

Hahahaha...of course you now have me singing "Back to school, back to school, to show my Dad that I'm not a fool"...hahahaha damn Billy Madison!

Ed said...

You mean there's actually other people who live up there?!?!

Amy said...

Hahaha, this takes me back to grade 9 gym class. Boys and girls were segregated and I got totally sloppy about shaving my legs. Then one day, SURPRISE we're in class with the boys! Meanwhile I'm sporting a national forest on my legs. Amazing.

Organic Meatbag said...

Hahahaha...of course you now have me singing "Back to school, back to school, to show my Dad that I'm not a fool"...hahahaha damn Billy Madison!