Monday, September 28, 2009

Letters to an Old Life, Pt 1

Dear Indiana,

It has been thirty-nine days since we last spoke (not that I am counting or anything). I must say, so far, I am content and happy with Fargo. The city has treated me well and I love my new friends, job, and life. I'm actually happy with myself for once. But, damnit. There are things about you I just cannot let go of.

I miss living with Vic and Clint. I miss my little bedroom with too much shit in it. I would give anything to be sitting on Vic's leather couch watching the Food Network, drinking High Life or Schlitz, eating queso, and listening to them talk about Giada's breasts. I miss running with Clint. I miss watching True Blood with Vic. I miss quoting Super Troopers with them at inappropriate moments. I still laugh when I think about playing Presidents and Assholes with them and Will... I miss them.

As much as I bitched about your lack of quality dining... I miss Martin's Sidedoor Deli and the wonderland that was salad bars, sushi, and deli sandwiches. I crave Uptown Kitchen and the orgasm in a tortilla they called their "breakfast burrito". I would literally murder someone for a veggie burrito bowl from Chipotle right now. Nothing sounds better at this moment than an Oaken Bucket cheeseburger or Barnaby's pizza with cheese sauce... or even some fish and chips with a Guiness on tap from Fiddlers.

I miss my old friends. I want to play beer pong with Ann Jan one more time. I want to hear Katie call me "Fargo" with her own voice rather than on my Facebook wall. I want to play with Joe Joe again. I want to be at Tuesday Trivia with Becky, Isaiah, Audrey, and Troy. I want to be shit-faced in Niles with Adam and Ben. Don't get me wrong, I love my new friends. But right now I want nothing more than to be eating Kim's Taco Dip with the manager crew while watching the Notre Dame game.

I miss all the sketchy, smelly, sticky, grossness that came with your dive bars. I miss the pitchers of Long Island Iced Tea from Finnie's. I miss huge beers from the Backer. I miss the Woo-Woos from Club Fever. I miss the awful decisions that were made whenever we were at one of these establishments. I miss the terrible music, sticky floors, and sweaty bodies that we hated when we were there... but craved when we weren't.

I miss you, Indiana. You were never really good for me and we are definitely better as friends. But sometimes I really wish I was with you again.

Till next time,
Jeney

4 comments:

Ed said...

The Hoosier State door is always open.

JennyMac said...

awwww...such a great post. Sometimes moving away can really highlight some of the best parts of where you once called "stomping grounds".

Hope your new home is that way for you too someday.

Amy said...

I feel the same way about Illinois... who ever thought anyone would say that??

Learning As I Go said...

hang in there it does get better.