Monday, January 11, 2010

Good American? Bad American? Ugly American?

I was really hesitant about publishing this. Starting any sort of wicked political arguments was not exactly what I had in mind for this blog. So please take everything I say here with a grain of salt...

While I do not consider myself radical when it comes to politics, I am a passionate person when it comes to my beliefs. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mean to push my opinions on you or belittle yours. But I think that if you believe in something, you should not be afraid to defend it. (That's why sports goons like me get bent when "fair weather fans" come out of the woodwork...)

Well, my aunt forwarded this blog in an e-mail to me last week and I honestly had to read it twice to see if there was a joke in it. While Snickelfritz (aka Texas Fred) there makes some really good points, I cannot help but wonder about others…

“I know wrestling is fake and I don’t waste my time watching or arguing about it.”

This one confuses me more than makes me angry. I didn’t realize arguing about how fake DX and Jericho are made you a “Good American”?

“This is AMERICA, I believe if you don’t like the way things are here, go back to where you came from and change your own country!”

So I guess this means since I don’t like the fact that same-sex marriages are illegal OR my car has more insurance on it than the average American's health that I should “go back to my own country”? Alright, fine. Should I ship my ass to Italy, Slovakia, Germany, Ireland, Whales, Sweden, Scotland, or Poland? Go ahead! You get to pick!

“I believe that it doesn’t take a village to raise a child, it takes two parents.”

Two whole parents? How about one parent? Or two parents of the same sex? Grandparents? Older siblings? Foster parents? Aunts and uncles? Wolves? Angelina Jolie? No? Okay. Sorry I asked.

“I believe the American flag should be the only one allowed to fly over American soil! If you want to fly the flag of YOUR nation at the top of a flag pole, by all means, do so, IN YOUR OWN NATION! And if the American flag is NOT your flag, then this is NOT your nation”

I have a distinct memory as a child of learning that America was a “melting pot.” My mother still has a box full of countless projects on my ancestors and my heritage. Yes, I was born here and my flag does have stars and bars on it. However, if it weren’t for those other flags, it wouldn’t be my flag in the first place.

***

The fact that this man has the freedom and the right to post his opinions on his blog is a wonderful thing. That’s the beauty of being an American citizen. I also realize that he probably made these statements vague and broad just to get a rise out of people like me. But I also have the right to disagree and be a bitch about it on my blog.

I would apologize for believing in equal HUMAN rights… but I’m not that tactful.

8 comments:

Just A Girl said...

You just said what I was thinking while reading that blog, only way better and more coherently. Hurrah!

Kendall said...

Love this post. So very much.

People tend to forget that this country is a melting pot.

Jeney Peney said...

@JAG Thank you SO MUCH for saying that... I really thought this was going to sound like one of those "i have absolutely no idea why this girl HAS an opinion" posts.

@Kendall For real! If there is one thing that pisses me off more than anything else... it's ignorance like that.

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

loved this, amen sister.

JeffScape said...

I'm with you on the fair-weather fans! I put up with a crappy football team for decades!

TexasFred said...

Just so you know, I didn't write it, it was a copy and paste..

Helen said...

That's scary! We live in country (I know it's not America, but I'm going to say this anyway) that has a huge mishmash of different cultures. I remember someone saying once that we're more like a mixed salad - we all belong to the same place but we maintain our cultural identity.

And it's not so bad...

And knowing your heritage and you family's history is an important part of knowing your identity as a pereson and how you fit into the grand melting-potted sheme of things. Nobody wants a stew with just onions, you need the differences to make it special.

JeffScape said...

I'm with you on the fair-weather fans! I put up with a crappy football team for decades!