Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I'm Just Sayin' - Goodbye

Saying goodbye is probably one of the most difficult things to do in life… unless of course it’s as a result of a long night of vodka and Lady Gaga remixes.

Saying goodbye to something you love, something that defines the very essence of you, may be the hardest of all. However, goodbyes are inevitable.

Music said goodbye to ground breaking bands like Soundgarden and the Smashing Pumpkins. Not to mention musical geniuses like Kurt Cobain and Jim Morrison.

The world shed tears of farewell to grand figures like Princess Diana and JFK.

The athletic world pounded brewskis of mourning to legends like Ernie Davis and Brian Piccolo. Sport legends themselves like Tiki Barber and Michael Jordan hung their jerseys up eventually.

Goodbyes are a part of life. And for the love of God, someone needs to tell this to Brett Favre.

Don’t get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for the guy despite the fact that I’m a devout Bears fan and the Packers are the devil incarnate of professional sport teams. He’s a great athlete and a decent person-- but this kind of uncertainty and mind games is the reason He’s Just Not That into You became such a success.

I don’t know if you realize this, Brett (Can I call ya Brett?), but your “retirements” are right up there with Adam Lambert’s coming out and Billy Mayes’ cocaine problem in terms of shock value.

“Brett Favre is retiring… again.”
“Oh, that’s nice. Wanna go shave a dog?”

Say goodbye, Favre. Your losing more than your devoted fans and all you're gaining is an old man gut.

I’m just sayin’.

10 comments:

MJenks said...

This man is dead to me.

I shall return to being a Packers fan this year.

Also, I'd like to offer my services to the Minnesota Vikings. I'm seven years younger than Favre and I have fewer career interceptions.

Just A Girl said...

Hahahahah I wondered where you were going with this. And then I read the Brett Favre line and I love you for that. SO FREAKING TRUE.

Learning As I Go said...

Thank you God, I am not the only one that feels the way you do. What happen to retiring and staying retired? They shouldn't be allowed to come back in my opinion. I use to like him but I am over it. Enough already!!!

Jeney Peney said...

@mjenks That man should be dead to the world. He just fucked the Vikings for the 100,000,000th time in his career.

@ Just a Girl I have been waiting for him to retire for EVER! Between him and Vick ESPN has become TMZ (as my roommate Vic so eloquently put it.)

@Blondie I completely agree. It's just getting old now. When he really does retire, no one is going to care.

SoBeAck-with a K said...

You think you're sick of Favre's antics? Try living in Wisconsin. Every new twist and turn in this man's career seems to stir the masses into a frenzy of emotions. You've got the "Fuck Favre, traitor!" folks, then there's the "Why Ted, Whhhhhyyyy?!" idiots, followed by the "Favre is a god and forever will be" drones. My opinion - Favre put Green Bay on the map, he had an amazing career with the Packers and should be remembered for it, he's slowly slipping into obscurity which is sad but hey, it's his legacy to throw away. Was proud to cheer him on with the Packers, avoided watching him play with the Jets (it's like seeing your ex with a sexier new girlfriend), and will probably cringe to see him with the Viqueens. All in all, 10 years from now Favre will be remembered as being one of the greatest QBs of all time, regardless of his current bitchy antics.

*I would LOVE to see mjenks play for the Vikes. I'll even buy your jersey.

Jeney Peney said...

@ SoBeAck Very well said. I do feel a special kind of sympathy for those who live in Packerland. My parents moved there after I left for college and my dad says it's almost depressing to see old Favre fans at work anymore.

You are 110% correct, though. He will always be remembered for being a great quarterback. I just don't think his legacy will be as great as it could have been if he retired the first (or even second) time around.

Organic Meatbag said...

Jeney, I can't express my hatred for Favre enough....there has never been a bigger drama queen in the NFL, and that's saying something with the likes of Terrell Owens and Michael Vick out there...
All i can hope for is that somebody snaps his leg in half, especially if it is one of the members of my St. Louis Rams...hehehehe...

Jeney Peney said...

@Organic I agree whole heartedly. Except I would love it if Brian Urlacher or Lance Briggs had that opportunity to tear him apart. Or if his right arm would just fall off.

Anonymous said...

You know, I was SHOCKED about Billy Mays and the coke. Really. I mean it explains the whole -yelling-like-you're-in-another-continent thing and the huge, exuberant enthusiasm and all but honestly, I had old Billy pegged for a 'hot chocolate and a muffin and in bed by 9pm' kinda guy.

And what's this? Adam Lambert is GAY? ARE YOU SURE? :)

the iNDefatigable mjenks said...

This man is dead to me.

I shall return to being a Packers fan this year.

Also, I'd like to offer my services to the Minnesota Vikings. I'm seven years younger than Favre and I have fewer career interceptions.