Monday, August 10, 2009

Pack Rat and Purge

I have no earthly idea if this sudden onset of sappy-face crap is because I've been alone for three weeks or because Aunt Flo sent her monthly present, but I've been really down all weekend.

How did I resolve this? By watching Dead Like Me on Hulu and throwing away copious amounts of stupid shit I have collected over the past five years.

While packing up my apartment (again) to move (again)*, I've run across a lot of above mentioned stupid shit I kept because I figured it was a way to remember all those "great" memories they are related to.

What the bloody hell was I thinking?! Do any of you know? OK, you can think about it. I'll wait.
....
....
....

Nothing? Seriously? What good are you?!

Jeesh.

Anywhoo -- as I have been tossing out all the faded pictures of high school friends, pressed flowers from dances, cheap jewelery from old boyfriends, and random trinkets that used to make me smile, I've been reflecting on a lot. Way more than you really want to know.

First off, I threw out my "Jimmy Box". This was the box full of things that my high school boyfriend gave me. He was the one I gave my V-card to. He was the one I dated for two years (in high school that equals eternity). He was the one who dumped me when I left for college (I'll blog more about that some other day). For any of you that ever had one of these boxes/relationships, you know what kind of milestone this is. I thought I would cry, chicken out, or even shove his "promise ring" in my pocket. I didn't. I was strong. And he is now laying is a Fargo landfill.

I also tossed out all my old planners from high school and college. I kept these because they were almost like mini diaries. Old memories and notes were scattered all through the pages. My friends wrote dumb things in them too like, "Ashley likes dinosaurs. And Jeney!" These were actually harder to get rid of than the box was.

I purged all of the cards, birthday banners, notes, and other random things most of my college friends and roommates had given me. I came to the conclusion that I have a lot of awesome memories from college -- and most of these things kind of bring back the bad ones. No need to keep them around.

Speaking of cards, I used to keep every single card that was given to me. Birthdays, Christmas, Easter... I even kept all of the "thinking of you" cards my Grandma would send me. I threw the two shoe boxes full of these out, too. I only kept my "going away to college" card from my family, the card the managers gave me for confirmation, and a card Little Shit gave me when he was in the 3rd grade.

I have purged a lot more than what is listed above. A lot more. Like, a pick-up truck worth. But I think those are the most important ones.

It's time for me to move on and become the woman I was meant to grow up to be.

Well, shit.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I think I need to do this. Thank you for this post.

Learning As I Go said...

good for you, it is hard to do even more so when Aunt Flo is in town.

Helen said...

I've been doing a bit of a purge lately, it's amazing the stuff you think you'll want...

And Dead Like Me heals all...