Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tattoos-day : For my Grandpa

One thing before I get into this... Do you remember my first TMIT? You can see the wound in this picture. Enjoy!

***
Ink #3; The Most Important Man in my Life Design: Green shaded celtic knot with block lettered "Grizzly" underneath.

Location: Left Outside Ankle

When: Sophomore Year of College


The Story:

This one was done shortly after my 19th birthday. I had it done at a small shop by a guy named Jason Woolley aka “The Big, Burly Guy” at Point Blank Tattoo in South Bend, In. I had originally wanted the text to be script, but Jason forgot to include the text at all in teh stencil. Still quite the inking noob, I figured this was normal. He had to improvise with the font, but I think it turned out just fine. :-)

“Grizzly” was my grandfather’s CB name when he drove trucks. He is by far one the most influential and special people in my life. I can honestly say that man in my hero.

He served in the US Army during the Korean War where he played football. He was recruited to play professional football. When he went to the try-out he blew out his knees and never played again. He has had a slew of medical problems including open heart surgery, knee replacements, staph infection in said knee replacements, diabetes, high blood pressure, depression, blood clots, a broken hip, among many others. And he’s still alive and kickin’ at seventy eight years old. That’s what the celtic knot is for – he is eternal and endless to me.

See the slice!? And the band-aid mark!?

4 comments:

Learning As I Go said...

I love it...even more because there is meaning behind it. I am getting a couple shamrocks soon...(I'm irish who just happens to be born on St. Patrick's Day..awesome huh?)

MJenks said...

Wow, that slice makes me cringe.

But, the tat itself is nice. And the lettering looks fine.

Just A Girl said...

I'm getting my grandpa's birthday (and my grandma's and great-grandma's) tattooed on my ribs with an Italian and an Irish flag so I feel you on the sentiment behind this one. But I definitely would have been like "um make another stencil broseph."

Anonymous said...

I went with you to get that!! Go me!!